Our Guide To Using A Cuticle Knife
If you are looking to take care of your nails you might be wondering if it’s worth investing in a cuticle knife and how to use one on your nails.
Cuticle knives are used to push back and cut cuticles as well as any dead skin, when using knives like this it’s important to work slowly and lightly to avoid causing damage to the nail.
In our guide, we will take you through exactly what a cuticle knife is and how it differs from a cuticle pusher, how to use one and some tips for taking care of your cuticles.
What Is A Cuticle Knife?
A cuticle knife is a very small knife with a small blade tip on the end, these small knives can be used during a manicure to help push back and lift/cut the cuticle of a nail, they can also be used carefully to get rid of dead skin around the nail.
A cuticle pusher is different to a cuticle knife and doesn’t have a blade, this is not used for cutting the cuticle but only for pushing it back.
How To Use A Cuticle Knife
Using a cuticle knife is easy after a few practices, but you want to ensure you’re using one lightly to avoid damaging your skin or nail.
We’ve listed some steps to using a cuticle knife and cuticle pusher down below.
- Start by applying cuticle oil to your nails, this will help to soften the cuticles and get them ready for the pushing and cutting.
- Next push back your cuticles and the bottom and sides of all your fingernails with the flat end of the tool, you can then take your cuticle knife and cut off any excess and dead skin around the nails.
- Go light with the cuticle knife and avoid cutting too close to the nail so you can avoid damage.
Tips For Taking Care Of Cuticles
Cuticles are very important for nail strength and you should ensure you take care of them well in order for your nails to grow and stay strong and healthy.
We’ve listed our top tips for taking care of your cuticles down below.
- Avoid cutting too much – Only use a cuticle cutter when needed, cutting too much of your cuticle can damage the nail and lead to marks, it also increases the chances of an infection occurring in your nail.
- Moisturise – Cuticles are essentially skin therefore need to stay moisturised like the rest of your skin, leaving them with Vaseline overnight can also be a cheap way to keep your cuticles soft and happy.
- Use an orange stick – Cuticle knives can be harsh on your nails, therefore try using an orange stick instead sometimes to push back your cuticles and make your nails seem longer.
- Don’t get them dirty – Avoid putting your fingers in your mouth or getting your hands and nails dirty if you have recently pushed back or cut your cuticles, this is because they are more prone to infection.
- Avoid rough nail care – Lots of manipulation of cuticles should be avoided, this can lead to red spots and even infection over time, make sure to warn your nail technician to be gentle with your cuticles.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cuticle Knives
Should I use a cuticle pusher or cuticle knife?
We recommend using a cuticle pusher instead of a cuticle knife, this is because your cuticles don’t technically need to be cut that often, cuticle pushers are a more gentle alternative to make your nails look longer.
Can I use scissors to cut my cuticles?
If you have lots of dead skin around your nails you can indeed use some precision nail scissors to cut around your nails.
How much does a cuticle knife cost?
A cuticle knife costs under $10, they are very cheap nail tools and important for a manicure.
How do I know if my cuticle is infected?
Your cuticle will likely appear sore, red and swollen, infection can occur when the skin around the cuticle becomes broken.
Overall, a cuticle knife is used for cutting back cuticles and getting rid of dead skin around the nail when performing a manicure and making the nail appear longer, giving you more room to work with. Cuticle knives should be used with care to avoid damaging the nail, or you can use an orange stick to push back the cuticle rather than push it.